Hello everyone, i welcome you to We Jacksonites. Today I’m talking about men and fashion and certain things men should do to look good.
Every man want to look good. This is so for many reasons of which self confidence is paramount. In the 21st century, men are becoming more and more aware of their fashion lives and increasingly exploring numerous ways to keep their body looking great and in shape.
In a place like South-Korea for example, young men from that country are known according to reports to use more cosmetics than men anywhere else across the globe. In fact, a report on ABC News states that, “eager to achieve their pretty-boy looks and smooth complexion, South Korean men are increasingly turning to BB cream foundation and anti-aging products to achieve K-Pop perfection, spending $900 million a year on cosmetics, according to research firm Euromonitor.” It also states South Korea is by far the largest in a growing global market for men’s cosmetics, accounting for nearly a quarter of sales in the skin care market.
In Africa- Nigeria for example- where ancient customs seemed to place women in a position of being the only ones that really care about their looks, men are now enormously becoming fashion crazy.
Looking good not only attracts the admiration of others, but is most importantly beneficial to the health. It is not just about buying and wearing expensive clothes and accessories. Your body is also of great importance and should be paid much attention to.
There are several ways a man can look good and remain confident and “they don’t come cheap”. Do not mistake me when I said that they don’t come cheap, what I mean is that to look good, you have to dedicate a lot of time, energy and resources to get desired result. You don’t necessarily have to break the bank on purchasing clothes and accessories. They don’t guarantee class when we talk of looking good.
If you are looking for ways to improve the way you look, these seven simple ways can help you have that beautiful body and handsomeness you crave for. You also get you find out how to combine your clothes and accessories so as to stand out in thee crowd.
1. Eat Right and frequently
The importance of food to the body can not be under-emphasized. This is because food helps our body grow, fight against diseases, replace worn-out tissues, There is a difference from simply eating and eating right. Eating right entails eating food in its natural form as. This helps to prevent things like obesity, cancer and other ailments gotten from the consumption of junk chemically processed foods. Nutrients in food help your body to look delicate and smooth.
According to a post on helpguide.org, follow these instructions below to learn simple ways to plan, enjoy and stick to a healthy diet.
- Prepare more of your own meals. Cooking more meals at home can help you take charge of what you’re eating and better monitor exactly what goes into your food. You’ll eat fewer calories and avoid the chemical additives, added sugar, and unhealthy fats of packaged and takeout foods that can leave you feeling tired, bloated, and irritable, and exacerbate symptoms of depression, stress, and anxiety.
- Make the right changes. When cutting back on unhealthy foods in your diet, it’s important to replace them with healthy alternatives. Replacing dangerous trans fats with healthy fats (such as switching fried chicken for grilled salmon) will make a positive difference to your health. Switching animal fats for refined carbohydrates, though (such as switching your breakfast bacon for donuts), won’t lower your risk for heart disease or improve your mood.
- Simplify. Instead of being overly concerned with counting calories, think of your diet in terms of color, variety, and freshness. Focus on avoiding packaged and processed foods and opting for more fresh ingredients.
- Read the labels. It’s important to be aware of what’s in your food as manufacturers often hide large amounts of sugar or unhealthy fats in packaged food, even food claiming to be healthy.
- Focus on how you feel after eating. This will help foster healthy new habits and tastes. The healthier the food you eat, the better you’ll feel after a meal. The more junk food you eat, the more likely you are to feel uncomfortable, nauseous, or drained of energy.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps flush our systems of waste products and toxins, yet many of us go through life dehydrated—causing tiredness, low energy, and headaches. It’s common to mistake thirst for hunger, so staying well hydrated will also help you make healthier food choices.
2. Do enough exercise and visit the Gym
Every man should crave for a body that is well in shape. Exercise not only helps you shed some calories which is a very good way to prevent obesity, it also helps build and strengthen your muscles and cardiovascular system, prevent aging, increase body growth and development and helps you horn athletic skills. Daily Push-ups and Sit-ups will help build your arms and make your stomach tougher, giving you the six packs your crave for. Also, frequently visit the gym and spend a minimum of one hour. I recommend splitting your exercise time between two 30 minutes with a rest time in between. This would help your muscles relax to avoid things like strain.
To give your body that perfect shape you want, these ten body exercise types from menshealth.com will get you going:
Dumbbell Incline Curl
The incline positions your arms behind you, allowing you a greater range of motion than you’d get with a standard curl, says Martin Rooney, C.S.C.S., founder of Training for Warriors.
Do this: Lie on an incline bench and let the weights hang at arm’s length, palms forward. Curl the weights, pause, lower them halfway, pause 5 seconds, and finish lowering. Do 10 reps.
Neutral-Grip Dumbbell Bench Press
“Dumbbells don’t lock in your arms like a barbell, so your stabilizing muscles work harder,” says Joe Dowdell, C.S.C.S., CEO of Peak Performance.
Do this: Lie on a flat bench and hold a pair of dumbbells over your chest, palms facing in. Lower the dumbbells to the sides of your chest.
Pause, then press them back up. Do 10 reps. (Watch this and learn how to do the dumbbell bench press.)
Half-Kneeling Rotational Cable Chop
“This exercise trains your core for exactly what it’s designed to do: provide stability and transfer power across multiple planes of motion,” says Dowdell.
Do this: Attach a rope to a cable station; kneel on your right knee, your left side facing the machine. Rotate as you pull the rope past your right hip.
Do 10 reps, switch sides, and repeat.
Half-Kneeling Single-Arm Bottom-Up Kettlebell Press
“Holding the bell upside down builds shoulder stability,” says trainer Greg Robins, C.S.C.S., of Cressey Performance. And single-arm reps torch your core.
Do this: Hold a kettlebell in your left hand in front of your shoulder, bottom up. Step forward with your right foot and kneel on your left knee.
Press the bell overhead 10 times. Stand up, switch sides, and repeat.
To gel full steps Click Here.
3. Think Before You Choose What to or What not to Wear
In my post FASHION: A Never Ending Phenomenon in Human History I stated that “Before one chooses what to wear, it is very important to consider such things as personality, age, financial capability, body shape and height, position in the society etc. Like was pointed out in what fashion is, what we wear tells a lot about us. Again is the fact that what we wear can make or mare us.”
To give support to the above statement, I carefully gave a detailed guideline every man must consider when the question “what must I wear to look good?” or “How should I dress to look good?” comes to mind. To answer these questions consider the following rules to apply when thinking of choosing what to wear:
- While being fashionable or simply wearing clothing and accessories to look good, look out for clothes that add elegance to you and not ones that makes you look like a complete moron. Think of that awkward moment when you spend thousands on a particular clothe and come for a dinner party thinking you look great only to end up becoming an image of ridicule. Yes, nobody wants to face such a moment. So, before you wear a Clothe, hair, or go for a tattoo or body piercing, make sure it’s something that will fit and add extra beauty to you. Don’t wear clothes that are extravagant. Keeping it moderate has proven to attract more respect. Again wear colours that blend together.
- Choose clothing that fits the occasion. For example, in Africa, particularly Igboland, one does not attend an ‘Igba-Nkwu’ (traditional wedding) clad in Western Attire like a suit, no matter how costly such attire is. Same can be said for a Television presenter who doesn’t put on party clothes for an 8pm news broadcast. Don’t just dress for the sake of showing how rich or beautiful you are.
- When choosing what things to wear, go for those things that give you fitting. Let it be things that give you the freedom to express yourself. Don’t just buy clothes, wear a hair, pierce your body or get a tattoo simply because they’re in vogue. Remember that dressing to look unique attracts you more glamour than just joining the bandwagon in doing what everybody else are doing. Consider your height, body shape, and if I may add weight before wearing that trending material.
I will like to add:
Make out time to write your list down, evaluate what you have written down and how much they are going to cost. Ask for advice from fashion designers or friends before coming to a conclusion.
As a man who want to look good, what you wear says so much about you. Apart from your clothes, your clothe accessories matter a lot as they help to add value to your dressing. You should consider the following when choosing your clothe accessories:
- Go for Exquisite Ties
These days men seem to wear ties less and less often. Years ago men regularly wore a tie. about 5 decades ago, our grandparents would always wear their best clothes on a Sunday for no other reason than the fact it was Sunday which nowadays sounds absolutely ridiculous. But the trend is not totally out of date as ties are still being worn by millions of men including professionals. Clothe designers to encourage wearing of ties, continue to innovate the designs and colours of ties thereby keeping them attractive. The truth about ties is that at some point, you must need to wear them and when that point comes, you wouldn’t want to be a scapegoat. So, Always carefully choose ties that match your dressing and add more elegance to you.
- Choose Very good pairs of Shoes or Footwear
Good pairs of shoes add value to your dressing. In fact, what you wear o your feet after clothes, is more important that the most expensive watches or caps. Good shoes or footwear are so essential to your dressing to be overlooked. This demands a careful selection of the best type of footwear to match with your clothes. It doesn’t matter how expensive they are, what matter is the value they add to your dressing.
Go for shoes that give you comfort and freedom. Consider things like occasion, type/design of clothes, colour of clothes, season, etc, before choosing a pair of shoes to wear.
- The Hat/Cap Must Match
Many men end up dressing well only to have their hats spoil the show for them. I personally don’t like putting on hats, but I understand many love to. If you must wear a hat, let it be one that fits the clothe you are wearing. It must be in communication with the rest of your attire.
If you don’t have enough money to buy designer hat, you can meet a local milliner to make you a customized hat depending on how much you can afford. For whatever the occasion, bear in mind that hats can either add value to your good look, for you wouldn’t want to be the subject of ridicule.
4. Take care of your Skin and Hairs
Your skin matters a lot when talking of how good a man can look. There’s a popular belief in Africa for example that a man’s looks does not matter so long as he has enough money to spend. Many may agree, but in my opinion, what sense does it make if you acquire all that money and do not use it to pay attention to your body. I believe that your looks first attracts you compliment before your money. For this reason, every man should make it a priority to pay attention to his skin. I mean, your skin must look and feel fresh for you to look good. Get to find out how smooth or rough it is, if there are blemishes, dark spots, skin diseases that need fixing. Your hairs must be paid attention to as well. How often do you cut, trim or shape them? of course you know they can’t be left without grooming. Even if you crave for dreads, much attention is still needed for your cherished hairstyle.
1. Wash your face with a good cleanser. This is a no-brainer. But the reality is, either you guys are doing it all wrong or just not doing it at all. Men are often guilty of taking super hot showers and using harsh soaps or face scrubs, according to dermatologist and psychiatrist Dr. Amy Wechsler. She adds, “This makes your skin dry and when your skin is dry you appear wrinkly and much older.” Not quite the look you’re going for, right?
“It is important to have a gentle cleanser that will cleanse the skin from the dirt and oil that can accumulate,” says Dr. Howard Brooks, a Washington, D.C.-based dermatologist. “Aveeno Men’s Face Wash is a perfect choice for daily use. It contains colloidal oatmeal that will hydrate while it cleanses.”
2. Stop buying cheap razors. According to Thomas Cheung, master barber at The Art of Shaving at Tysons Corner Center in McLean, VA, most men shave five times a week. (How do you do it?) “A quality razor can be a lifetime item, so choose your weapon wisely. Choose a razor that fits your skin sensitivity and beard coarseness, your face will thank you,” says Cheung.
If you’re going the drugstore route, Dr. Wechsler suggests pumping the brakes before buying a razor with several blades. “With these types, you’re more likely to get razor burn or ingrown hairs because the extra blades pull the hairs below the skin a little too deep.”
A moisturizing shaving gel is key to providing a barrier of protection while shaving, so slather that on. Shave in the shower or immediately afterwords, as Cheung states that “the facial hairs are much softer from the warm water and steam.” Plus, it eliminates having to clean up a dirty sink when you’ve got company.
3. Make after-shave your new best friend. “After-shave hydrates and soothes the skin; it also seals in the skin after a nice shave,” says Cheung. “Your after-shave should be alcohol-free because alcohol dries your skin — plain and simple.”
4. Don’t skip the facial moisturizer. Facial hair can be sexy on a guy, but what really turns us on is when our faces touch and it doesn’t feel like sandpaper. Moisturizing daily will get you soft, kissable skin. “Fragrance-free products are easy because they have no smell and aren’t considered ‘girly,’” says Dr. Wechsler. “Cetaphil is a good moisturizer option. And Clinique for Men is actually the same as the original Clinique products — it’s just in a grey bottle.”
5. Never leave home without applying sunscreen. If you can find a moisturizer that contains SPF of 30 or higher, then you’re way ahead. But it doesn’t hurt to keep a separate bottle of sunscreen handy. Plus, it lets us know that you actually care about your appearance. Bonus points!
Men who don’t use sunscreen increase their risk of getting sun damage, which may result in redness, irritation, extra blood vessels and skin cancer. Stay forever young (or close to it) by applying sunscreen every single day.
Remember to use beauty products that are recommended by your physician or take to enhancing the beauty of your skin using natural herbs and fruits.
If you love Beards, keep them well trimmed, neat and long• (depending on preference). For how to do this, you must read this post I wrote on How to keep Your Beards Long, Trimmed and Neat.
Indeed, there is no limit to how good you can look as a man. Time and time again, you are bound to find out that there are new ways you can explore to achieve good look, but i suggest that you seek for proper instructions and advice before you try them out.
I sincerely hope you enjoyed reading this. If you did, please give me a feedback by dropping a comment and liking the post. You can also ask questions and be sure I’ll get back to you in a good time.
You can also read some of my posts on fashion: